Health benefits of the consumption of slow release starchy foods.
- What are the long and short-term effects of consumption of high versus
low GI starchy foods on glucose metabolism and lipid profile?
- To what extent are the GI features of foods related to post-meal satiety
and cognitive function?
- What are the effects of fermentation of starchy foods on colonic metabolism
and what are health-related consequences?
- To what extent can the health benefits of slow release starchy foods
be estimated by use of the GI? Could other factors such as the release
profile of glucose, regulation of endogenous glucose production glucose,
hormonal responses or the presence of fermentable carbohydrates be of
- In what way do the following factors determine the health benefits
of high versus low GI starchy foods?
- food production processes
- rate and extent of digestion
- gastrointestinal events (e.g. gastrointestinal transit time and hormones)
- post-absorptive metabolism (e.g. second-meal phenomena)
- What are the possibilities for extending the number of low GI starchy